View Single Post
Old 05-08-2009, 09:54 AM   #15
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

That might be the opposite of commonly held beliefs where you are Classic, but not here in the UK.

There is also another factor involved to do with preconceived murder, versus the so-called 'crime of passion'. Because women who kill abusive partners usually don't do so in an act of immediate self-defence, but rather after years of abuse, and when the partner is at his most vulnerable (and therefore the only time she will feel able to attack), they have usually faced a full murder charge. Because when men kill their wives they can usually point to an instance of rage, they have historically got away with lighter sentences. I will look for the source but there was a case, not so long ago (maybe a decade) of a judge considering it an acceptable mitigation that a man had snapped because his wife was 'nagging' him.

Our laws only recognised 'rape' as being legally possible within marriage in the mid-late '90s.

There's a similar discrepancy as well, in sentencing for child murder. Women who murder children (I don't necessarily mean their own children) will usually be seen as much greater monsters than men who do the same. Again I'll have to go digging for suorces...though actually, no i won;t not yet. I will go write my essay on factory reforms :P
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote