View Single Post
Old 11-19-2001, 09:14 AM   #14
dave

Lisa -

What he actually said is some debate, but I believe that it's closer to "Those that would give up essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security." A couple points on this:

1. Benjamin Franklin was human. Therefore, he is capable of being wrong. He said it, but that doesn't make it right. Just like right now, I can say "Benjamin Franklin was a loony idiot." Does that negate everything he said, because I wrote those words? Who is right? Are either of us? Franklin's statement is also just a matter of opinion. Hitler wanted to exterminate Jews and Gypsies. His opinion was that they were evil. Did that make him right, because he mustered an opinion?

2. The words "temporary" and "essential" are important. What is an essential liberty? This differs from person to person, because one cannot define what is important for others. I think this is partially what tw was arguing - if you don't want a National ID card, don't get one. Just like you can't possibly say that National ID cards are evil - maybe they are to you, but that doesn't mean they're not good for others. The "temporary security" is important as well - obviously, long term measures need to be enacted. Are you furious about not being able to take a razor on an airplane? Or are you understanding that, while the notion is ridiculous, your Lady Schick could possibly be used to hijack an airplane and fly it into a building, so you put up with the grief. If you're not rebelling against these new "restrictions" and standing up for your rights in the face of this tyranny, then you're just blowing hot air.

The fact of the matter is, I love freedom too. I would die to protect it. But then I think of the people I love, and how I don't want them to ride an airplane through a building. Or to have nails implanted in their face and chest because a suicide bomber walked into the Sbarro where they were eating. The idea of freedoms eroding are scary, but are you really willing to trade everyone you love so you can sit smugly in the absence of a National ID card?

Quote:
So, you want to take away my right to privacy to reduce the much lesser crime of "identity theft"??? I strongly oppose that.
Lesser crime? I wonder if you'd sing the same tune if it happened to you. I know we all like to pretend we would. But can you honestly say that, after having your identity stolen, your credit rating ruined and your ability to get a job almost totally destroyed because of a ruined professional reputation, that you would say "man, sure am glad I stood up to that one, 'cause even though I'm living with my parents and have no money whatsoever, at least I don't have a National ID card"? I don't think you can, because I don't think you know what it's like to go through that. Even so, that's not even really the big deal. Self sacrifice is easy. Could you manage to watch someone you love go through it? A child, perhaps. A spouse. Watching them suffer that torment. Knowing that they're contemplating suicide because life is just getting too difficult. Are you seriously willing to trade some false sense of freedom for that?

I don't mean to sound hard on you, and please don't consider it inflammatory - I just question your reasons. Having seen someone go through minor identity theft (credit cards, which ruined my mother's credit rating), I have an appreciation for some stronger protection on these areas. Not to say that I would support a proposed National ID card - it all depends on the implementation and the proposed setup. But I wouldn't rule it out before even knowing what's going on. Things like this are too important to form an opinion on before you've had time and opportunity to review the proposal.