View Single Post
Old 09-23-2003, 10:33 AM   #74
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

Sucks big rocks...

It's basically the revamping of how HealthCare is done. Electronic Transactions are being standardized (In a VERY painful manner), taking all of the current 1000+ proprietary formats, and making them all the same, for each insurance company. Standardizing how information is passed, what is passed, what's done with it when it gets to where it's going.

It also covers security of privately held Health information (PHI). (I can't just lay your medical records on my desk and walk away from it). And privacy of PHI I can't spray paint your diagnosis on the billboard on 95. But if YOU do it, it's okay.

But one of the best benefits of HIPAA is that it mandates portability of your health insurance. If you move from one job to another, and you've had health insurance for over 18 months continuously, it MUST be offered to you right away.

It's a huge pain in my butt, (the electronic transactions are what I'm working on) and sends me home in a foul bitch-o-matic mood most nights, but in the long run, HIPAA will be good for everyone.

Dagney

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote