View Single Post
Old 09-18-2003, 02:29 PM   #1
Cam
dripping with ignorance

Fools who download music

Something has started to really bother me about the RIAA's recent onslaught of lawsuits. It's not so much that the RIAA is suing it's customers is that the idiots that are being sued keep claiming that they didn't know what they were doing was illegal. Come on people, it's been in the news everywhere for the last 2 years; you can't tell me you didn't know.

I'm all for cheap music, I love the idea of Itunes and wish I could use it, and probably will start once it becomes available for Windows. I also dislike the RIAA tremendously and think that they are really overstepping their bounds in some cases, but anyone who can stand there and truthfully say that they did not know that the 2000 songs they downloaded from Kazaa where in violation of copyright laws is a complete idiot.

The only way I can see this argument standing is if a judge or jury uses the same reasoning that let's some woman lose a suit to McDonalds when she spills hot coffee on herself. Shouldn't the fact that file sharing is illegal be almost as well known as the fact that hot coffee is actually hot?