View Single Post
Old 02-17-2009, 01:48 PM   #53
kerosene
Touring the facilities

At a previous place we lived, we had a dog issue. One day an unknown German Sheppard (sp?) chased my son, barking and growling into the house when he was playing outside in the front yard. I was upset and tried to go out to the front porch but the dog was standing on it and growling at our front door.

I didn't know who owned the dog and figured he might have been a stray. I called animal control, which for this town happened to be the police. They came over and I told her what had happened. But by the time they got there, the neighbors had called the dog inside. If I had known he belonged to the neighbors, I would have gone over and talked to them.

Apparently this town had no leash law, because the police officer came back and told me that the dog was harmless and that the neighbors had lived there for 30 years and never had issues with the dog. It was apparently alright for them to let their dog roam because "He never goes to people's doors." I guess I must have been lying.

Anyway, since I could not do anything about it, I accepted that the dog was allowed to roam around and intimidate children. I also apologized to the neighbor and set up a time for my son to meet the dog where the dog felt safe and everything seemed alright after that. My son never felt very safe around the dog, though, so he usually came in when he saw it outside.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote