View Single Post
Old 02-08-2009, 08:52 PM   #12
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Hm. For just sweetness, brown and white stack up about the same for me. Brown's advantage is in its rich molasses flavor. I often whip up brown sugar out of white and molasses drizzled in, in the chopping attachment to my blender. It's not the most efficient such mixer but it is the only tool I have that answers at all. It has to be sulphured or blackstrap molasses, not the light variety, for the true brown sugar flavor to come through.

I've tried Mexican style sugarloafs, called piloncillos in the vernacular. I haven't been incredibly wowed, for these sugarloafs are designed to stay solid, not taste like brown sugar. I bust the loaves up with channel-lock pliers because bashing them with a mallet gets bits all over. Then the busted pieces go in my coffee grinder to be reduced (mostly) to granules, revealing a blond sugar -- dishwater blond, darker than demerara, but not a patch on what I'm told is the German style, with a lot of molasses, mixed to where it's just short of sticky. Keep that stuff tightly covered or it will cake and you'll have to chip it out of the container.