View Single Post
Old 02-03-2009, 10:22 AM   #2
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Well, one thing I would say might help you come up with a specific-to-your-needs solution is to get into his way of seeing the world a little bit more. I found Penelope Leach's books immensely helpful in getting me to see the world from an infant's perspective. Once you understand where they are coming from it makes it a lot easier for you to develop relevant strategies.

What worked for us won't necessarily work for you. We co-slept so the Dowas were always there, my wife nursed on demand with both kids and we noticed that if they even get a hint of un-availability of the Dowas it can send them into panic, real panic, that there might be a "run on the bank" so to speak. "Absence makes the heart grow fonder." and "Familiarity breeds contempt."

Not likely that he'd hold them in contempt, but I bet he'll relax if he feels they are always there whenever he wants them for as long as he wants them and he is smart enough to know when you are trying to fob off some substitute.

We did have some success when the Inch was begining weaning at about 3 I think with a cup of warm milk to which I added some vanilla, a dash of molasses and a spoon of maple syrup. It hit the spot and he was pretty happy.

I think the key to remember is: kids aren't convenient, generally speaking, and it helps your sanity to try to see the world from their perspective as much as possible. (Though I did lull the inch to sleep with the following subliminal suggestions when he was an infant: "Convenient babies are nine times more likely to survive than inconvenient babies. Inconvient babies are nine times more likey to be left in snow drifts than convenient babies." Until my wife made me stop.

I cannot recommend Penelope Leach's books highly enough. And in rereading your post I might consult his pediatrician.