View Single Post
Old 11-07-2001, 10:00 PM   #32
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Re: Re: Re: The cheesesteak crusader returns...

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore

After working around South and West Philadelphians, it IS the foo foo part of town.
Which demonstrates the truth of what I said about neeeding to get out.

Oh...I need to second that D'Alessandro's endorsement too. In my salad days I lived in Roxborough, where D'Alessandro's was but a stone's throw away. *Wonderful* steaks there. And Monahan's Irish Pizza (IV-3-1110, "It's an easy number to remeber", it said on the box).

Damn, that *was* a long time ago...

I'm going to hammer the smoking point again, Syc, you blew it off too easy. That's real denial there. That shit will kill you.

My dad did his damnedest to kill himself with his diet, and he *almost* succeeded; we were certain the adult-onset diabetes and strokes were going to kill him. They sure made him suffer.

But he smoked like a chimney nearly all his life...and during one hospital admission for the circulatory problems they noticed his liver was enlarged--not an easy thing given his >340lbs weight..

It was cancer. He was gone within two weeks. The biopsy indicated the cancer probably seeded from his gut. And I remain convinced the original carcinogen there was in swallowed saliva from his tobacco habit.

He never made it to 60.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote