Thread: I'm a Birdbrain
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2003, 09:16 AM   #33
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Goddess worship in general is an acknowledgement of the female power of creation. Historically, goddess worship was very common, if not prevalent, amongst ancient peoples. These people were very much attuned to the Earth and the cycles of the seasons, and so their practices centered around the events closest to their lives...the turning of the seasons, the cycles of birth (Spring), life (Summer), harvest (Fall) and death (Winter). From the ancient's point of view, plants and animals went through these cycles, as did the entire Earth.

For modern Pagans, these events are symbols, representations of a natural process of which we humans are a part. Our deities tend to be representations of some aspect of the natural world. For some, these deities are as literal as is Jehovah is to his adherents, but for most, these dieties are symbolic, a way to visualize the creative and motive forces of our corporeal existence, and a link to our spiritual selves as part of the greater whole of the universe.

I guess I would say that the purpose Pagan deities serve is pretty much the same as the purpose served by Jehovah or Allah, with the exception of divine forgiveness. Our dieties are the creators and incarnations of the elements of the universe, and we are a part of them...and they of us.

My particular coven practices goddess and god worship in equal measure...we believe in the inherent balance of male and female energies in all things...sort of a 'it takes two to tango' kind of thing. There are Pagan sects which practice goddess worship exclusively, but that's for another post.

As for the Wiccan form of worship, it is ritual like any other ritual. We form circle, or sacred space, entreat the embodiment of the elements of the four directions, and the god and goddess, to join and watch over our proceedings, and then conduct our meditations, spellwork, or whatever within this place 'apart and separate' from the real world. We then share bread and wine (a practice older than the Christian communion), and then dismiss the dieties and elements, and dissolve circle.

Another thing that sets Wicca and a lot of other Pagan paths apart from mainstream religious practices is the fact that we are *all* clergy, in a sense. Anyone can conduct a ritual proceeding, even without others present.

There's a lot more to this, obviously, but this is the basic theme.

Last edited by Elspode; 08-20-2003 at 09:33 AM.
Elspode is offline   Reply With Quote