View Single Post
Old 12-23-2008, 01:07 AM   #89
Ruminator
Ohio fisherman

Thumbs up

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
I'm betting morality is a societal construct, with variables for different societies, but the common themes in these constructs (like no killing), were codified by the major religions, as a way of anointing Mama's frying pan with moral authority.

I agree, and this seems like he most logical, likely scenario. And from this, I can't understand the position that morality "comes from God" or "isn't possible without God" or that "you can't be a moral person if you don't believe in God" etc. as has been suggested by some.
Flint, I don't believe that "you can't be a moral person if you don't believe in God".

My stated purpose in creating this thread was to gain an understanding of what atheists use to develop a moral value system because I couldn't think of any absolute on which one could be built.

There have been some really excellent answers posted here that have given me an awareness and appreciation for how that process occurs for an atheist.

That purpose for my thread has been met and I truly appreciate all of this discussion. Especially since its gone considerably farther than it was first intended.

Thanks everyone.

Now where were we ...

"People never give each other enough credit for their contributions." ... a truer statement was never made.
- contributed by TheMercenary
Ruminator is offline   Reply With Quote