View Single Post
Old 12-22-2008, 12:10 PM   #86
Phage0070
Snooty Borg

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
I already said I do not believe in any Daniel Quinn hunter gatherer utopia ideas and I never had said non-violent but I'm questioning where people get this idea that these people were constantly raiding eachother? Because you suggest that people created civilizations in response to attacks also suggests that these raids must have been on a high level to create such a revolutionary idea.
I think we are actually on the same page. I don’t think that the ancient world was a Mad Max world of looting and death either. I also don’t think that civilization is that revolutionary an idea; many animals have picked up the concept of sticking together for mutual benefit. Stopping moving, setting up shop in one location, and specializing is the revolutionary concept.

My only point was that disagreeing that without the boundaries of society people would be inclined to loot and pillage, and basing that conclusion on observation of a society is a non sequitur. The best way of telling what people would tend to do without the bounds of society is to look at situations where the bounds of society are starting to break down. Look at some of the world’s worst examples of riots and you can see that people definitely have the looting and pillaging aspect within them. Then realize that those people were raised in a society from birth and were only without society for a few days, and imagine how someone raised without the concept of society might act.
Phage0070 is offline   Reply With Quote