View Single Post
Old 12-09-2008, 09:14 AM   #39
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Shall we have a poll? How far over the "limit" did you go?

...I'm thinking it's only "in the spirit of the thing" if you don't make a song and dance about it. Think about the recipient just scraping by, who had to wait until their paycheck was cashed to buy and send their present. They receive an awesome gift! Wow! Their SS must be an awesome shopper! Then they learn that their SS thought they were a good charitable cause and deserved it, and spent three times as much as they did on the present. What if their recipient did the same and as a result thinks the gift they received is lame.....
I had no intent of "making a song and dance about it."
I am very pleased with the SS I got this year. I hope they appreciate the prizes. But putting together something which costs £X (just under the limit) and finding the postage is £X x 3 is frustrating. It doesn't mean I want to broadcast "Oh I spent SO much money!" because the exact opposite is true - I am genuinely watching my expenditure at the moment and I know other Dwellars are too. But on the other hand, just there is a frustration in literally only being able to send a paper item (as I did last year - a piece of original art) to stick strictly within the limit.

I will receive my SS at some point before this week. I will love it. Why? Because it will be from somene in another country I have never met, and it will have been sent with affection. I don't think I have received a lame present in my life, although I have gifted some on - well with the best will in the world, it was more pleasureable to give than receive!

I think the guideline amount is a great idea. But I think anyone sending to/ receiving from a foreign country should be allowed a little envy when they see what $15 buys and sends in-country.

Here endest the lesson.
PS - is it there yet, is it there yet? 9 days since posting - has it arrived yet?!?!?
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote