View Single Post
Old 08-14-2003, 02:56 AM   #1
Nothing But Net
Professor

Letter to the editor of the Baton Rouge (LA) Advocate

May never get printed, but I feel I must share:

Tuesday last, I was victimized by the infamous Southern Louisiana police 'fishing expedition'. After a long day of driving from Nashville, wanting nothing more than to just get home, I was stopped by one of BR's 'finest' at one a.m., obstensibly for 'crossing the line' a couple of times on I-10 West entering Baton Rouge.

I had my cruise control on 60 and know I crossed no dividers. Actually, my only 'crime' was transiting the city with an out-of-state license plate, as I am sure my fellow harrassee from North Carolina could attest. Certainly nobody with LA plates is worth stopping. Really, I would have thought the national exposure to this scam would have put an end to this unconstitutional ridiculousness by now.

It was obvious from his line of interrogation on the side of the highway that he didn't think I was drunk, and it made your officer look like an idiot. His line of questions were along the lines of 'Where am I coming from and where am I going?". Suspected drunk drivers don't get asked questions, they get a sobriety test. He confronted my passenger (girlfriend) along those same lines. What does that have to do with the alleged infraction? The State of Louisiana used to get my gambling business, but no more. I'm taking it to Mississippi or some other state, bypassing your illegal backwater burg altogether. And I'm telling all my friends to do the same.

What do you think?
Nothing But Net is offline   Reply With Quote