View Single Post
Old 11-23-2008, 07:41 AM   #120
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

My Aunt & Uncle came over to visit from Australia about 11 years ago, bringing my young cousin. It coincided with my nephew's baptism, which was nice.

The party was held at my sister's MIL's house, and as things were quite crowded a group of us were stood in the front garden, eating cardboard sandwiches and drinking warm white wine.

Mum spotted a ladybird on a rose bush, and pointed it out to Hannah, expecting her to be delighted, and say, "Ladybird, ladybird fly away home..." and make a wish or some such girly nonsense. No. Mum obviously sent a mixed message about what action was expected.
"Where?" she cried eagerly, "I'll kill it! I'll kill it!" Obviously worried that someone else was going to horn in on her stomping rights.

Of course at the time I wrote it off as the difference between Australian and British wildlife, in that ours rarely kills. I assumed all Australian children had the instinctive reaction to squish first and ask questions later. Now I find out it is not a national trait, so I can only assume she's a sociopath. Which will be interesting when she visits next year!
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote