Thread: obama nation
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2008, 08:46 AM   #127
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I'm quite proud if a little fuzzy on my ancestry. Native American on mom's side, Swiss on the other (my maiden name is from the french speaking part of Switzerland.)

How opposite are those backgrounds? Though there are many many other tidbits mixed in, those are the ones that stand out, and I wish I knew more.

Anecdotally, I know my great great grandparents were scouts for the union army, knowing the lay of the land and assisting. This is what my (maternal) grandpa told me before he passed away, and I have no proof and don't even know if the ages would work out.

My great grandfather (paternal) came from Switzerland to the town in which I currently live and he started a cigar shop. I have some old cigar molds, and my parents have a chair, an old cigar press, and many molds and labels. Sadly, the building has been torn down (was on Main St.) My town is full of people who are mostly second and third cousins (my more immediate family is from another smallish town nearby) with the same last name as my maiden name. The history is quite interesting to me, but I should do research to know more.

Does it all really matter? I guess not in the grand scheme, but it's part of who I am. I see very strong traits from my mother's side.