Thread: obama nation
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2008, 08:20 AM   #126
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Ancestry defines much in my opinion, if it is something that has been a part of your upbringing. By which I mean the story of your ancestry. It all depends how much you associate in to that story. I personally associate in very strongly. It matters to me what strands there are to my ancestry and what branches to my family tree.
Our family vacation this summer included a trip to Plymouth. MA, where we took a tour of the house where my ancestor (John Howland) lived after he came over on the Mayflower. It was an old house, and it was interesting to see how he had lived. It's nice to know the story of at least one branch of my family. My kids seemed to really enjoy it, and they actually got t-shirts that contain the names of the Mayflower passengers so they can point out their ancestors, some through their mom, and some through me.

What's not so nice is to learn that I'm related to Sarah Palin through some of the same Pilgrims. The names in bold are our shared ancestors.

Quote:
Palin’s Mayflower ancestors include William Brewster, John Howland, Stephen Hopkins, Joan (Hurst) Rogers, John and Elizabeth Tilley, and Richard Warren. She also descends from Thomas Prence, an early governor of Plymouth Colony, and her pedigree is laden with numerous pre-1650 immigrants from England.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote