View Single Post
Old 10-10-2008, 11:37 AM   #30
glatt

I've got to do the inspection of our house to see where we have gaps. But I have a feeling the chipmunk got in through an open door. I came back into our basement after mowing a couple weeks ago, and the door had been wide open the entire time. Then I found lots of teeth marks in a bar of soap down there. I caught two mice after, and assumed they were the culprits, but maybe it was the chipmunk.

There's no question we have openings somewhere, because every Fall, we catch half a dozen mice in the house. Problem is, we have poorly installed aluminum siding on this house, and there are many gaps in the siding. I've ignored the siding, because fixing it is a huge and expensive job, and not a necessary one. It was installed over the original stucco. So I assume the original stucco is keeping things water tight. Plus, the exterior walls are masonry, so they can't rot. But the siding is attached to furring strips, which are nailed into the stucco, so there is a gap between the siding and the stucco. Mice can get in there and run around looking for any openings into the house.

Not an ideal situation. But fixing it would be much more effort and cost than it's worth.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote