View Single Post
Old 09-27-2008, 07:05 AM   #2306
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Three cheers for the cat rescuers!

Making me happy today was Henry the seal (or sea lion, I don't know the difference if there is one and some articles about him use the terms interchangably).

Henry is a wild seal who has been hanging out on the beaches of Adelaide for at least 6 years. He has become quite comfortable with having humans fairly close. There is a good article about him here.

Anyway, after watching the footy grand final, I took a brisk afternoon stroll, rock hopped out to the end of the breakwater at Glenelg, and there he was in all his furry, blubbery glory, flopped on some rocks, just chilling out and enjoying the late afternoon sun.

I could get quite close - probably closer than we're legally supposed to - until he sat up and yawned and exhaled vigorously, which I took as a sign to step back. He was quite relaxed as abuot half a dozen people wandered out and back to ooohh and aaahhh at him.

Alas, I didn't have my camera with me (which is the personal fault of some twit in a mobile phone store but that is another story) so I couldn't take a photo .

But he was so cute I just wanted to pat him! However, I also wanted to not have my hand bitten off so I didn't pat him. Instead I just stared at him for half an hour and spent the rest of the evening with a big goofy grin on my face.