View Single Post
Old 10-21-2001, 08:22 PM   #8
mbpark
Lecturer

Torresdale...that's nice like Chestnut Hill

There are only two places I have ever seen country clubs in Philadelphia proper.

Chestnut Hill and Torresdale.

There are parts of Torresdale that look better than the suburbs, especially right around Holy Family College, where parts look like the Main Line, especially right across the street. It's got a lot of character around the country club.

My experience with Philadelphia is that most of it is an old factory town that is in need of serious redevelopment of a few parts after they left, especially North Philadelphia, Kensington, and Port Richmond. Powelton's kinda there on that list too.

Fairmount, on the other hand, has gotten incredibly nice, and yes I have walked from the North Star Bar (Poplar Street?) down to Arch at night. Fairmount just looks incredible now, and is probably going to be the next Old City. Northern Liberties is also getting nice, but it will take about three years for the look to catch up to the rent cost (it costs as much as Old City and still looks ghetto). I'm in Logan Square, which is darn nice and just south of Fairmount.

However, Torresdale is now officially nicer than the suburbs around it, especially Bensalem. I've been there enough to appreciate how nice many parts of it have stayed.

And, it's got an r7 stop

Mitch
mbpark is offline   Reply With Quote