View Single Post
Old 07-30-2008, 05:47 AM   #189
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Anyway....

When people start throwing around the term "obedience" (to their husband) it gives me the creeps. Outside of the beatings
Not remotely unique to muslim cultures.

Quote:
I just like how sure of yourselves some of you sound right now. Good luck with that.

And maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it is the size of the stick that counts.
As in the size of the stick up your arse currently? :P Nobody sounds so sure to me. As far as I can tell people are throwing out thoughts and ideas and responses as in any other discussion.

And....at the risk of repetition: the stuff about the stick in the Koran, was there to illustrate how context is important to any understanding of an ancient text. In late-antiquity and early medieval cultures, the idea of setting limits to a man's rights over his wife was a bold one and one with which the mosem world led the way a millenia ago. You cannot point to a text written over a thousand years ago and expect it to conform to our modern conception of woman.

Like any of the great religions, there are those who read that book and interpret in ways you and I would no doubt approve of and others who read it and attempt to apply ideas that are a thousand years out of date. The Koran is no more guilty of misogyny than is the Bible. The Anglican Church is still tearing itself apart in my country over the horror of women bishops.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote