View Single Post
Old 07-27-2008, 12:59 PM   #9
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
For the record (and for those who don't click the link and read the whole article):
Quote:
Wes Streeting, president of the National Union of Students, condemned the study. “This disgusting report is a reflection of the biases and prejudices of a right-wing think tank – not the views of Muslim students across Britain,” he said. “Only 632 Muslim students were asked vague and misleading questions, and their answers were wilfully misinterpreted.”
I was very surprised to see the figure so high. But I also accept that many 18-21 year olds hold views I find abhorrent. From the same article, 4% of non-Muslim students had little or no respect for gays. Which would be wonderful... except it certainly doesn't reflect what I hear. And (in this country at least) non-Muslims don't have religion to hide behind.

I may be wrong, the survey may be right. It's pretty grim if it is. But just wait. These Muslim students will face the reality of the jobs market pretty soon. A lot of attitude ends up washed away in the 07.30 shower when you have to get up 5 days a week to go to work. And I mean that across the religious and racial spectrum.

Dana - any comment on the Muslim students at your Uni?
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote