View Single Post
Old 07-13-2008, 02:55 PM   #77
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

Late into the convo, but I'm gonna try.

To me science doesn't trump religion nor religion trump science. I believe science over religion but don't completely trust it. There have been many scientific "facts" or theories that have been debunked. Science is a constant search for the truth and is always modifying and updating itself to incorporate new discovers. Religion claims to be the only truth (at least most of them do), the core of religion doesn't change. The religious text will dictate the (general) belief of its followers even though the text has not changed (beyond translation) in thousands of years. In the end, they were written by man and are subject suspicion because of this. We don't teach out of science books from even a hundred years ago, but many people center their life around an ancient text. On that note I don't believe such texts are obsolete, just like the Pythagorean theorem is not obsolete. They have their uses, laying out generally a good moral system for one thing, even if I do think parts of that are outdated. In the end I'm agnostic, I can't prove to myself God is there, that he isn't there, or that one religion is right about Him over another. Science I can believe in, even if I can't always trust it.