View Single Post
Old 07-08-2008, 08:08 AM   #12
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by regular.joe View Post
On the other hand I don't see how a guy or gal who can understand the Copenhagen interpretation of the gold foil experiment could possibly discount out of hand spirituality in the universe. (Shit, anyone who understands any interpretation of the facts of Quantum Mechanics for that matter.)
Well played. What the non-spiritual amongst us would say is that spirituality has been the explanation for every single phenomenon of nature that we didn't understand, why the sun comes up every morning, why a woman gets pregnant... right up until we did understand it. So the existence of things we don't have an explanation for is no evidence of anything, other than we're still in the process and there are things we don't know.

If we've moved the bar all the way up to particle physics being the bit we don't understand, it would be a cop out to just fill in the blanks with a God.

Edit, but I think I can still see room for spirituality in this very scientific viewpoint - if the last piece is "now who set all this into motion, and why?"
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote