View Single Post
Old 06-28-2008, 06:08 PM   #1779
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Again, back from work.
Picked up £50 for 7.5 hours work tonight. Doesn't make sense compared to the £20 I'll get for 4 hours tomorrow, but hey - I'm not complaining!

Had I been wearing socks I would have worked them off tonight.
But I love that kind of hard work.
I mean it, I really love the feeling of immediate reaction of bar-work. I suppose it's my replacement for being on stage. You get a response from strangers. And I like pushing myself - being better, being faster, being more accurate but still being friendly, making sure you remember it is the customer's night out, they deserve a good time.

Tomorrow is different again - not noisy, not crowded, but lots of rounds (you get rounds, right?) with little recognition from the customers.
We get a lot of drop-in Sunday drinkers who are there with their families/ old friends and don't acknowledge what you do for them. So you work at being part of the background and emerging to serve them the second they require it and decode their orders for them (ie a white wine spritzer for this lady means wine and lemonade, a whiskey and diet coke for this man is a Jack Daniels, no ice and a can of Diet Coke, not the generic stuff from the tap)

And I was happy with how I looked tonight! I didn't get to take any pictures of myself, and James only took one of me, but I'll upload it if it's okay. (it got busy within 30 mins of me arriving and I spent that time bottling up) But going by the compliments I did okay.

I love to feel tired but happy.