View Single Post
Old 06-10-2008, 08:30 PM   #5
flaja
High Propagandist

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothmoniker View Post
Not true. He has 1763 pledged delegates, you need a total of 2118 to win. He has enough pledged + declared superdelegates to win.

Hillary can still get some of his declared supers to switch sides, and walk away with the nomination. She would need 192 additional superdelegates to vote for her.

Are there 192 open seats on the Supreme Court?
Hasn't Clinton already tried to make the case that even the pledged delegates are not legally-bound to vote for the candidate that they were elected to support?

And what happens if Obama is sidelined by scandal between now and August?

I am not a Democrat. I have never been a Democrat, and I will never be or vote for a Democrat. But I hope that Clinton still makes an issue of the Florida and Michigan delegates. According to the Florida state constitution, the state legislature can regulate political parties. I question the validity of this under the U.S. Constitution since it restricts our right to assemble and petition the government for redress of grievances. But if state law can regulate national political parties, then I don’t see how party rules can dictate when state law says a party can have its primary. However, if party rules can override statutory law, then the parties should be paying the cost of holding the primary elections. As it stands now the state of Florida will only pay the cost of holding a primary election for the Democrats and Republicans- third parties must foot their own bill. This is fundamentally wrong and I hope that a challenge from Clinton can bring public attention to this issue.
flaja is offline   Reply With Quote