View Single Post
Old 06-05-2003, 10:45 AM   #3
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

There was some confusion about the size of the crowd because the initial crowd, when they started pulling the statue, was fairly small (about 100 I'd guess). Several cameras focused in on the crowd which made it seem larger than normal -- which is just simply what happens with cropping and long lenses, it's standard practice. After the statue toppled the crowd became larger and larger.

Many anti's focused on the confusing early shots to say "Hey, there weren't that many people there and they made it look like there was!" That may be the case but if so, it was hardly intentional except for the usual TV news approach.

And, of course, it misses the bigger point that millions of people wanted liberation, and if there was a small crowd in the square that day it was because there were about a million and a half people who would have loved to be there but were, you know, dead.

Yesterday they found a mass grave of children. I don't know if this was Photoshopped but I do know those children were real.