View Single Post
Old 04-15-2008, 10:35 AM   #21
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Traditional, yes. Good idea in this day and age, no. Marriage traditions in various places include dowries, female circumcision, women not keeping their own name, women using the title Mrs (as in belonging to Mr), no sex before marriage, fluffy white wedding gowns, competely shrouded bodies, childhood marriage, arranged marriage..... Not all of these traditions should be perpetuated.

Clearly the fiancee-to-be is a progressive independently-minded person to shun the tradition of a diamond. I doubt she would refuse him because he failed to "ask permission". She might if he did. So why take that risk?
He didn't say that she was shunning a tradition, he said she didn't want a diamond. I don't think some of these traditions should be perpetuated either, keep in mind I wouldn't even let a man "give me away" so I didn't have a wedding, I personally don't like a bit of it, as it all leaves a very poor taste in my mouth.

But it is human nature for girls to love their daddies and sometimes the offense would be to not ask his permission. Depends on who it is really. Not all women are progressive and I find most to be very surprised at how I conducted my marriage arrangements despite having all the options in the world to do a traditional ownership exchange in front of god and everybody. I am as progressive as they come in that manner, but I would hate to suggest something that isn't right for someone else in their marriage. Some women are still traditional and I find the more that they ask my opinion on what their marriage should look like, and the responses I get, we are still living in the dark ages despite my feelings that most of it is dead wrong for any self-respecting woman to do.

Progressivism does a 180 when a girl gets married. No one told you? Hey whatever makes her happy. Not monster happy. Her.

Most traditional weddings make me want to vomit. But that's just me.

This guy will certainly be able to gauge if his girlfriend would like certain traditions maintained and some done away with. Depends on how much he wants to show respect to her father. The father who is more than likely not as progressive as his daughter.