View Single Post
Old 04-08-2008, 06:09 PM   #3
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by warch View Post
Ok. I'm a girl. I'm not a "girly" girl, really, though. But last week I watched a dvd of a BBC mini series that made me sigh and remember that I am a very avid heterosexual female and a sucker for a well done costume drama. A friend recommended it and I found it via netflix. Apparently the movie has had a similar affect on a large number of women, crashed the bbc chat board back in the day and helped push the film onto dvd . It has not been broadcast in the US, so you have to go find it. Its worth it. sigh.

The film is from 2004 (I think) and called North & South- but its not about the US civil war. It is based on a Victorian novel by Elizabeth Gaskell, set in 1850 UK. It stars Richard Armitage as John Thornton finding his way in the young textile mill industry. And the whole cast is great, but I must say, he is mighty fine. sigh.

So. Has anyone seen this?
Do you have a favorite to share?
Girl? No. Girly? No. Sucker for a Romantic Movie? Yes.

Although I haven't seen the one you describe, I do have some favorites of my own.

What Dreams May Come.

Field of Dreams.

Big Fish.

I'll review the movie rack at home. I'm certain there are some I'm forgetting. I've had a pretty steady diet of other stuff (anime, tv series...) and I'd be happy to refresh my memory.