View Single Post
Old 05-13-2003, 12:03 AM   #8
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Quote:
Is there some latent evil in social behavior that is not evident in "natural man" (apart from social interaction)? If so, how is this different from the idea of original sin?
     Um... If the logic is that evil is taught by society then you're talking about 'Original innocence.'
     Ya know, as far as the idea of the human desire to embody or aspire to good... I think people are generally more interested in symbolizing good than being good.
     It's easy to admire people that we see as good. Yet very few actually even attempt to live up to the standards of what we consider noble. For instance, people generally accept that honesty is "good". Yet being truly honest is virtually unheard of. I don't believe this is due to a great level of difficulty. I think that the convenience of a lie is to much of a temptation to pass up. Yet we all hate to be lied too. Obviously this is a double standard, and it's common in the extreme.
     As much as we admire those we believe live up to a higher standard most people accept that it isn't for us. Or as Hobbes, of Calvin and Hobbes, once said, "virtue needs some cheaper thrills."