View Single Post
Old 02-11-2008, 05:47 PM   #1491
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Sure, any suggestions are welcome. Just keep in mind I'm not the one actually doing any of it, and generally don't know what the hell I'm talking about.
My day has been wall to wall grief.... sorry I haven't responded before this. Windows can be cranky when the default hard disk controller has changed. It may be that the configuration for the hard disk controller is still set up for the previous controller. It was probably integrated with the motherboard. Your goal (or Mr CF... whomever) will probably be to change it to the proper setting.

The setting is the same, but the controller was changed out from underneath the config (which is on the hard drive). The plan would be to use Device Manager, find the hd controller, then update the driver. **IF** it can find the actual controller, wonderful. Let it install that one.

If it can't, for whatever reason, then the idea would be to choose the GENERIC IDE CONTROLLER, then boot the system, hopefully in normal mode, not safe mode, then, in normal mode, try and update the driver again.

That you can boot in safemode is a very promising sign, and you should be able to recover from there. I'd be happy to help further, if this isn't enough.