View Single Post
Old 01-29-2008, 12:58 PM   #3
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Be warned: as a professional audio person, I have a rather strong opinion on this subject.

They wanted to put tubes in my little brother's ears for the same thing. My parents said no fucking way. (Incidentally, tubes don't do anything but let pus drain faster out of your ear. In the meantime, they open you up for even more infections, and they can screw up your hearing for life.)

Frequent infections are usually due to swelling--an "issue" with his eustachian tubes, just like you said. The question is, why are they swollen? The vast majority of the time, the answer is mild allergies.

90% of childhood allergies are to one of five things: eggs, milk, peanuts, soy and wheat.

My parents started with cow's milk. About a week after they'd taken him off of it, his latest infection cleared, and he never got another one. Sometime around age 5 or 6 they reintroduced it into his diet, and he did fine.

Please, please at least try to rule out food allergies before you agree to let them put tubes in his ears. You never know, he might like to be a musician someday.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote