View Single Post
Old 01-27-2008, 09:04 AM   #1436
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

I am COLD

I got home early this evening, and turned on the reverse-cycle air-conditioner to warm my apartment. There came a loud CRACK noise from the outside part of the split system. The A/C never started blowing warm air and constant fiddling with the controls (which are in Japanese) only ever got it to circulate the air inside the room.
This did of course happen on a Sunday evening. In the middle of winter. The web indicates that the current temperature is 2C (34F), but -2 (28F) with windchill. The forecast is for -2, which, allowing for windchill, will probably take us to about -5 (23F). This is one of, if not THE, coldest nights I have seen in this city.
Now, I know you cellarites in Northern USA will scoff at such temperatures being called "cold", but this building, like many in Japan, has crap all insulation. It is COLD in here.
Well, it was. I rugged up with two pairs of warm pants, double socks, t-shirt, two thermals, two sweaters, fleecy jacket, two beanies, and gloves, but I was STILL cold. When I could see my breath condensing in the air I decided to get the portable electric hot plate and set it on a cleared patch in the living/bed room. This has made the room much warmer but is not a good arrangement.
The good thing is that my rental agency will sort this out, but that will take time.
Just more crap to deal with.