Thread: Chemo Update
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2007, 07:08 PM   #11
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
All chemotherapy drugs work by attacking cancer cells, but TaxotereŽ attacks cancer cells differently than other chemotherapy drugs. Instead of attacking a cancer cell's DNA like most chemotherapy drugs, TaxotereŽ takes a more direct approach and attacks the cancer cell's supporting structure (or "skeleton"). This makes the cell very stiff, and it has trouble multiplying.
Seems to me (a complete layperson with the ability to google) that shrinkage wasn't necessarily the primary aim of the Taxotere, although (obviously) a desirable effect. The various sites I found seemed to say that the use of this drug was to weaken the structure and prevent further growth and spreading -many sites cited research that women treated with this drug were less likely to have cancer found in other parts of the breast during surgery.

So chin up. Good Luck.

and buy lots of unperfermud moisturister. Apparently dry skin in a common side effect of your next toxic cocktail. I use Vaseline Advanced Healing.

Would it be better if they were able to serve the chemo in cocktail form with little umbrellas and sophisticated olived arrays on sticks and the like?