View Single Post
Old 12-28-2007, 02:45 PM   #1
Chewbaccus
Freethinker/booter

Snorting a brain chemical could replace sleep

From Wired:

Quote:
In what sounds like a dream for millions of tired coffee drinkers, Darpa-funded scientists might have found a drug that will eliminate sleepiness.

A nasal spray containing a naturally occurring brain hormone called orexin A reversed the effects of sleep deprivation in monkeys, allowing them to perform like well-rested monkeys on cognitive tests. ....

The treatment is "a totally new route for increasing arousal, and the new study shows it to be relatively benign," said Jerome Siegel, a professor of psychiatry at UCLA and a co-author of the paper. "It reduces sleepiness without causing edginess."

<snip>

The monkeys were deprived of sleep for 30 to 36 hours and then given either orexin A or a saline placebo before taking standard cognitive tests. The monkeys given orexin A in a nasal spray scored about the same as alert monkeys, while the saline-control group was severely impaired.
How bad is it that the first thing that popped in my head after reading this was Goldblum's "You did it. You crazy son-of-a-bitch, you did it" line from Jurassic Park?