View Single Post
Old 12-17-2007, 07:19 PM   #15
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzmatazz13 View Post
At Lowe's we have "Holiday Decorations" but "Christmas Trees" really...it's funny.

Especially since decorating a tree for a winter celebration predates christanity

I call it a christmas tree so people know what the hell I'm talking about. but it's no more to do with the birth of ickle baby jesus to me than the lights I put on my hous are. And I call those fairy lights like all good Brits. And I put a "fairy" on top of my tree, like most Brits.

They're just words. Anyone offended by them needs to get a life.

But that said, Winterval was good because it wasn't just about Christmas. When I lived in Birmingham (UK) it started in time to cover Eid, Diwali, Winter Solstice and Channuka too and it really did bring people together (nobody has heard of Kwanzaa there) Pretty much all of those holidays involve light in some way shape or form. And who doesn't need light in the middle of winter? If it had just been called Christmas, or Diwali, I doubt it would have offended many (except those who make taking offence a hobby), but those who don't celebrate that particular holiday might not have realized there would be anything going on for them to enjoy, or might have thought their joining the fun would be frowned upon by their religion.