View Single Post
Old 11-26-2007, 02:38 PM   #94
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Sixth item when googling "writers"+"$200,000":

"The $200,000 average is a misleading indicator of most writers. There are 12,000 Writers Guild members (and I'm not one of them), The MEAN income of a guild member is $4,000 a year. Yes, that means there is a very large distribution. There are the A-list writers who make a lot of money, there are writers making the minimum, and there are writers who aren't getting paid at all because they sold nothing in that calendar year."
I don't find that misleading at all. Of all the writers who actually have jobs, the average among them is 200k per year. Some make a million, and some make 4k. They are paid what they are worth. The average between them is 200k. The guy who makes 4k per year probably worked less than a week in a year.

Mentioning how many writers guild members are in the union is irrelevant. Most of them don't actually work. It's the same in SAG or AFTRA. Something like 3%-5% of the members of that union are actually working actors. It's stupid to factor in those who aren't working. To figure out how much union writers are being paid, you only include those who are actually working.

Working writers guild members earned $264 million which equates to the average working writer making $205,000 in 2006.

Last edited by Radar; 11-26-2007 at 02:56 PM.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote