View Single Post
Old 10-01-2001, 09:35 PM   #8
dave

Quote:
Originally posted by roXet
But the problem (my question) is that the DSL comes into your house as a plain phone line (RJ-11) that has a DSL signal on top of your voice signal. What converts that into the ethernet?
theoretically, as long as there is no special mixing going on (which there shouldn't be), it's just about the wires. as long as those are straight, you put on any connector you want. that's how we have converters.

my dsl modem does the conversion. a phone line comes in, an ethernet cable runs out. it's pretty simple, and that's how most dsl modems are (at least the ones i'm familiar with). i would recommend that anyone wanting to do this purchase their own dsl modem and make sure (via the company) that it will work with their service. tell them that you don't want to rent, or that you don't feel comfortable having your computer exposed to the internet so you want to have a firewall between the two. or tell them that you don't use usb.

anyway, afaik, it's pretty standard for the dsl to come in on a standard phone cable with an rj-11 connector (understand that the rj-11, rj-45 etc only refer to the connector and not the cable - for example, what we call "network cable" or "ethernet cable" is category 5 twisted pair with rj-45 connectors at each end). but whoever wants to use a router just needs a different modem. that's all.