View Single Post
Old 09-24-2007, 08:46 AM   #38
Brett's Honey
whatever

Lower class. Dad was 17, Mom 15 when they married - had three kids by ages of 19 & 20! Dad was a "rolling stone". Always a small cheap rent house, we did eat out at a local cafe a couple times a month. Dad always had money for a 6 or 12 pack after work, and more on the week-ends, though. And almost always money to go camping for a week in Arkansas or Missouri for a summer vacation. Never were really hungry and without food.
I do have one painful memory...in 8th grade, one kinda snobby upper class girl asked me, around several other kids while walking out of a classroom, "So are those the only two dresses you own?! (One was obviously from the previous year and being outgrown fast.) Another girl quickly leaned over and quietly said that that remark had been mean and out of line, but that was little consolation at the time.
But....Dad spent the money on other things, I had just a few motorcycle T shirts and a couple pair of second hand jeans for a wardrobe, but I also had a brand new Honda CL 125 for my 13th birthday in 1973! It was all I had asked for and I begged for it for two years, and got it. My brother had a sponsor, moto-cross racing and I rode his bike around the house, but you could get your motorcycle license at 13 in Arkansas. I had wheels and was on the road!
What was the question...?...on yeah...lower class.....
Brett's Honey is offline   Reply With Quote