View Single Post
Old 09-22-2007, 10:47 AM   #14
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

For the first 5 years of my life, it was essentially just my mom and I. She eked out a living for us, with my grandparents assisting. There were a few times when we were two steps from the curb. My parents divorced before I was 2...my father was a piece of shit then as he is now.

My mom married my stepdad shortly before I turned 6, and had my brother just before I turned 7. We were essentially lower middle class...my mom was awful with money and my stepdad let her handle the bills. They declared bankruptcy twice growing up. My brother and I went to Catholic school, and there were a couple of times when we almost got thrown out for being late on the bills.

My parents are generally better with their money now. They have a nice small house and two newer cars and seem to be able to make ends meet with money to put in savings. I had hoped not to make the mistakes they did, but essentially wound up following in their footsteps, filing for bankruptcy almost 3 years ago.

I dunno...being laid up due to my heart condition 2 years ago really put a lot of things in perspective for me, and I've been trying valiantly to put into practice what I learned from my (and others') missteps. I'm winning the battle, though it's tough. But that's alright, because I'm ornery by nature.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote