View Single Post
Old 04-04-2003, 11:12 AM   #30
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Juju, okay perhaps I should have said, "Has anyone heard of this from a different source?" Both are frontline. I also didn't hear the term "New Norm." But it might be there as I only listened to the fourth and fifth parts because I'm on an archaic dial up connection ... during the middle of the day...
     I now know from an IM with you that you thought I meant the idea, not the phrase, sorry if I was unclear. My point was to illustrate that Chomsky seems to have made it up, since it wasn't in the doctrine that I could find, and applied it directly to the administration. As if it were their words not his. I joked last night about using this kind of misrepresentative slanting techniques but it's not really funny. If you only read this article would there be any question that this was the Bush Administration's name for it's policies? I really doubt it. I was asking to see if maybe someone in the admin did use it before I accused Chomsky of putting words in their mouth.
Quote:
You've taken this quote completely out of context. Did you happen to catch the pages of material that came before it, or maybe the stuff that came after?
     Yup, sure did. Now, consider the context of my posting. I was responding to the idea Chomsky was putting forth that this is a US doctrine of world domination. Was the rest of the doctrine more aggressive than this quote suggest, yes. I just think that this line was in the doctrine to address people like Chomsky that would take it to the extreme. Therefore, it's not only not out of context, but present to make this very point.