View Single Post
Old 04-02-2003, 12:43 PM   #30
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

On the subject of things that happened, remember OPEC? It was towards the election time that they began restricting sales to drive up prices. My memory is a little fuzzy on the details but I remember maybe four or five economists on NPR saying that every time oil prices have shot up it's hurt the economy greatly. I remember gas prices hitting $1.70 or so per gallon of regular around here not long after that. I think I even heard Alan Greenspan giving warnings of this nature. Yet, that's the one thing I never heard Bush making a lot of noise about. I've heard 9/11 blamed a lot, and a few other things, but not the oil situation. Am I the only one that thinks it's odd that these guy's say the economy is going to tank, give a reason for it, it does tank and nobody on the Hill seems to notice they said anything? Did I miss it?
     Also I understand the opposite is true, cheap oil gives immediate boosts to our economy. I've said elsewhere that the cheap oil we get from Iraq after the war will do wonders for the economy. And I think Bush will credit his tax breaks. Am I running with conspiracy theory of the week or does this make sense?