Thread: Car Insurance
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2007, 02:41 PM   #9
Weird Harold
Vice-President of Resentment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexmons View Post
Car insurance is like paying the mafia protection money, you know you're supposed to do it or you're going to get in trouble. In NJ we pay the highest rates in the country for insurance and have practically nothing to show for it. The saddest part is, you're paying this money so in case you get into an accident, you're insured right, but if you do actually get into an accident, your fault or not, your premium goes up and stays up. For a regular fender bender it's like paying out of your own pocket! I just recently signed up with 21st Century Insurance and after signing up, I received a letter stating they were now going to check my credit score and my premium will possibly change based on my credit score! What does one thing have to do with another! A coworker told me his old insurance company was actually overcharging him $500/year because the 18yr old kid that lived in the apartment above his was high risk. They didn't even call him to ask if they lived together they just fucking raised that shit. Wouldn't it be nice if car insurance was more like health insurance in that they cover the small stuff too, like tune-ups, new tires, brakes, oil changes? If you ask me New Jersey's auto insurance is its biggest example of corruption gone wild.
I'm self employed. Our kids are now on All Kids Covered. Illinois's version of national health insurance. You pay based on what you make, you can make up to $200,00, it's not just for welfare recipients. Unfortunately my wife and I are over 18, so the policy we can afford has a $5,000deductable per person per year. We pay for basically everything, it's only for if someone gets cancer, or something really big.

In addition to car insurance, house insurance, and health insurance, I have general liability, and workman's comp insurance. I work by myself, I have no employees, which is what workman's comp is for, it doesn't cover the owner. Why do I have workman's comp? Illinois law says that a sole proprietor doesn't have to have it. Because one of the carpet stores I work for insists that I have a workman's comp policy. So I get to basically flush $1,000 down the toilet each year, for insurance that covers no one.