View Single Post
Old 08-06-2007, 12:25 AM   #298
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Have you told them that you have this difficulty? That's probably a good step. I don't mean get people together on the couch for a big announcement...but at some point when they are trying to get you to open up, tell them you can't.

I have always (since my teens) held back. That 'emotional honesty' that some people seem to find so damn easy with those whom they're closest to, has always somewhat mystified me. Don't get me wrong, I tell them things, I tell them how I feel about stuff... but that isn't necessarily the same thing :P
I have discussed it with everyone that it matters to. I've been doing my best to just say whatever is on my mind as long as it's appropriate for the audience, and not outright mean and hurtful. This is sort of a long standing issue and it's an issue that most of the other men in my family have had to deal with. The thing is none of them really ever figure out how they conquer it, if they ever do.

Yes, I'm very much not "emotionally honest."

My girlfriend has basically pulled me out of hiding to a large extent, but there's still a long way to go and she's getting tired of being patient. It's not an imminent break-up situation, but I really want to work on this and sort it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore View Post
Why?
I'm afraid the person I am isn't good for anyone, I'm afraid of being rejected and judged. I can be fairly harsh and abrasive sometimes. The thing is this suppressing myself is what ends up casting me out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Because if he told them, he'd have to kill them.
Who says I haven't? :P

There's more to the story than I'm willing to relate here. I didn't really post here to find a solution (though any tips would be welcome). I posted to just get it out.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote