Thread: free country
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2003, 02:23 AM   #7
Uryoces
2nd Covenant, yo

We have so many laws because coffee is f*cking hot, and you shouldn't put it near your crotch. This chemical desiccant pack, do not eat! Keep knife out of children! We have so many laws because no one will take responsibility for their own actions. I don't remember who said it, but the idea was that we remove all speedometers from cars and replace it with a day-glo orange sticker that reads You alone are responsible for operating this car in a safe manner

I believe it was the wise prophet Austin Powers who once said:
Quote:
We have freedom ... with ... responsibility. It's a very groovy time! Yeah!
Oh yeah, found it:
Quote:
Whatever form of government we want, we have to ensure that it can effectively replace what exists. We must not fall into the trap of enlightenment. We must not see what we want, but what is. We have to take human nature into account in this. We have a republic today, a representative democracy. People are chosen ostensibly for their expertise, for their ability to take care of the day-to -day running of the country. If we decide to take this control for ourselves [e.g. Tim Eyman and his ill-advised Proposition 695, which devastated the transportation budget of Washington state, which the voters approved], we, every one of us must be ready to become economists, scientists, engineers, and project managers. This is not likely to happen. The reality of this situation is what the Greeks called 'mob rule'.

If we want the revolution, we must be prepared to pay for it ourselves, not to make others pay with ill-cast votes and Ryder trucks.
--Me

Almost missed this!

Last edited by Uryoces; 03-14-2003 at 02:31 AM.
Uryoces is offline   Reply With Quote