View Single Post
Old 07-21-2007, 10:46 AM   #8
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

In my home, I teach that physical and verbal violence is wrong. That there is always another, more intelligent way to resolve differences. If I were then to turn around and HIT my kids, I am contradicting my own teachings and sending them mixed messages.

So I am creative where discipline is concerned. I often use scut work (scrubbing a moldy/mildew'y section of pavement or cleaning out the gutters, for example) or loss/earning of priviledges. I'll unplug your internet, take away your Nintendo DS, disconnect your phone....or give you 2 hours game time, or some special activity together to either reward or discipline my kids. I do not have problems with them for the most part. My 10yr old has some issues resulting from visitation with her dysfunctional dad (my ex), but thats to be expected to some degree. Mostly, she is a good kid. My 19yr old son does not drink, smoke, or do drugs. He has finished high school, has full time employment and is consistantly respectful towards me. My 2yr old is well behaved, sweet, helpful and obedient.

In short, my kids obey me and the law out of respect, consideration and love, not fear (of being hit).

Stormie