Thread: Flip This House
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2007, 05:03 PM   #13
bigw00dy
I'm here once in a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester View Post
Wow - it looks like a totally new house.

do you guys buy the house, renovate and re-sell?

or just get paid to renovate.
The other guy is my step father and he actually buys the houses. After doing this sort of work for so many years, he has become his own bank. I just get paid to help him. But I am his only 'helper'. He does have another outfit come in and sheetrock. But thats it!!! The rest is us.

He also has a realtor that he works closely with who can sell these roses among thorns. The area is kinda a ...well dump. Or should I say...the dump that gets pushed out of Atlantic city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
Thanks for sharing all your hard work, nice job! I just had a couple questions:

#1- is that seriously the stove that he (couldn't) use?
#2 -what did you do with the ceiling tiles? Some people actually pay $$ for those.
#3 What are some final details about the house, # bedrooms, # baths etc.
#4 I've never seen a split level basement like that before, is that common in that area?
#5, The big one, so what was the initial 'value', and the final sale price?

Neat.

1. that is the actual stove we removed. It had atleast a 1/4" layer of grease on it.
2. Our plan was to save the ceiling tiles....But theu didn't come down as nice as one would of thought.
3. About a 70 year old 3 bedroom, 1 bath, walk-up attic, 9.5' ceilings. When we were done: hardwood, 150amp panel, central air/forced hot air,new plumbing...the list goes on. It is practically a brand new house.
4. That knee wall in the basement is actually en-tombing all the old spent coal. Those older houses had coal burning furnaces(most of the time in the basement) with one big ass vent in the middle of the living room. They would shovel all the spend coal from the furnace into the knee wall cavity and when it filled up, they would cap it with concrete. So, needless to say, we have to be very gentile while working around/on top of the knee wall.

5. about an 80k profit after all said and done. Mind you, the realtor was not used this time.