Thread: "A Fat Rant"
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2007, 02:51 PM   #77
9th Engineer
Bioengineer and aspiring lawer

Quote:
The point of the example was primarily mathematical, not scientific. The point was to demonstrate that genes could be combined in various ways. The example was intentionally simplified to prove a point and I expect that most people would understand this.
However, you first need to back up the implicit argument that the genes in question can behave in the manner you have presented them. Most people here have no knowledge of genetics, and if the information is as simple and well known as you claim it would be an easy search. Your point is absolutely a scientific one, since the crux of what you're saying is that these genes can be rearranged and separated from one another. This is not true of all genes, and this isn't a board where everyone can be expected to know that offhand.
If you make the statement, you back it up with real data. Otherwise anyone could simply make half-cocked claims, safe in the knowledge that we don't have multiple hours to devote to each thread.

Quote:
There are overweight people who can gain weight on eating plans that would promote weight loss in normal people. There are also recognised syndromes in which obesity is a symptom, or the result of excessive appetite caused by hormonal deficiencies such as the inability to make the hormone leptin.
Yes, these disorders are out there, but not in 50% or more of the population. Hyperphagic disorders are not what make people just 'heavy', very often they must be institutionalized due to their weight. Prader-Willie's Syndrome is an example of one of these, occuring in 1 out of every 12,000 to 15,000 births.
If someone has a genetic disorder that does not allow them to eat a diet that would be healthy for a normal person, then they should tailor their diet to the extent of their illness just like a diabetic needs to alter their diet.
I am not saying that all overweight people are the same. In fact, I'm saying the exact opposite, that each person needs to eat according to themselves.
Food is just fuel, thankfully our society is starting to recognize it as that.