View Single Post
Old 05-26-2007, 08:49 AM   #843
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

um---is most of the stuff ya'll read Sci-Fi? None of the above books for the past 5-6 posts rings any bells...

I'm reading the memoirs of Laetitia Pilkington--a Lady of the 18th C. who was a close friend of Swift, was divorced by her Parson husband who was having an affair with an actress (the nerve!) but who divorced her on grounds that SHE was the adulterer, lost custody of her children, was so poor and hungry she very well MAY have prostituted herself to survive (the jury is out on whether she really did or not), wrote poems and ditties for other people who claimed them as their own (for cash) and was sent to Debtor's Prison for a two pound debt. Really fascinating--this woman is completely relatable to a modern day reader. I feel sort of secure knowing that nothing really ever changes in this world.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote