View Single Post
Old 05-21-2007, 11:13 AM   #1
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

How I know that I'm getting old

While out with the wife yesterday, I was flipping up and down the XM dial looking for something interesting. I hit one of the comedy channels and nearly drove off the road.

What did I hear?

Another exciting episode of the most fantastic crime fighter the world has ever known...
BAWK BAWK BAWK BAWWWWK... CHICKENMAN! (He's everywhere, he's everywhere!)

I nearly went out of my gourd, while my wife stared at me in confusion.

Y'see, when I was but a wee lad with curly hair and short pants in the mid-seventies, WIP was not yet the cannibalistic sports-talk cauldron that it is today. It was, instead, a Philadelphia institution as a music station, and it just so happens that they carried the adventures of Chickenman on a regular basis. While my young mind kept waiting futilely to hear Chickenman, y'know, actually FIGHT someone Batman-style, I found them greatly amusing nonetheless.

And now they are back in syndication. The site linked above even offers a limited-edition 14-disc set (!) containing all 273 episodes for the low low price of $129.00 plus shipping.

I was grooving on nostalgia when it hit me. Not only was this something that I hadn't heard for THIRTY YEARS, but thirty years ago I was also old enough to have this register in my memory as something notable.

Get off my lawn.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote