Thread: My Friend
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2007, 06:58 AM   #1
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

My Friend

Over the last few weeks some of you may have noticed I haven't been around so much. (some of you may have been thankful for that) I wanted to share with you something that's going on in my life at the moment which has kept me away from you all.

About a month ago, my best friend was committed to a private mental health facility under the government health act because he husband refused to believe she was ill. Her parents and everyone around could see she was having a relapse but her husband wouldn't do anything about it. He wouldn't take her to her shrink and even now he says she's just 'a bit depressed'.

My friend has schizophrenia combined with a bi-polar disorder. She's been well for about 9yrs or so now. Pretty much the same amount of time she's been married for. She's tried to top herself off a few times in the past and undoubtedly she will do so again sooner or later. Her doctor has her on Lithium now which seems to be helping although I'm concerned about the side effects. They're also considering ECT (electro-convulsive therapy) although that's a last resort strategy.

I have been spending as much time as I can with her, but I feel so helpless. I can't do anything besides talk to her and support her and her folks.

It's just so hard seeing someone you love in such pain and torment. Tormented is what she seems to be to me. I can see it in her eyes and the way she moves. It's breaking my heart.

Any advice?